China is one of our most important customers. We are actively seeking to improve the predictability of this promising and diverse market.
- Population: 1.39 billion
- Total vegetable oil consumption (2016): 31.9 million tonnes
- #1 vegetable oil consumer in the world
Imports of Canadian canola (2016)
- Seed: 3.5 million tonnes valued at $1.9 billion
- Oil: 597 thousand tonnes valued at $569.3 million
- Meal: 657 thousand tonnes valued at $217.8 million
- Total value of exports to China: $2.7 billion
- Seed imports have varied widely from year to year.
- Oil imports have been increased in recent years.
- Meal imports were restricted in 2013 when China implemented new registration requirements for Canadian processors exporting meal, and resumed in late 2016.
Economic benefits of importing Canadian canola
- US$3.6 billion of economic activity per year
- 16,150 jobs in China