India is a relatively new market for canola oil. As the country's growing middle class seeks healthier foods, oil imports could see significant growth.
- Population: 1.31 billion
- Primary health concerns: Cardiovascular disease, diabetes
- Total vegetable oil consumption (2016): 20.4 million tonnes
- #2 vegetable oil consumer in the world
Imports of Canadian canola (2016)
- Oil: 35 thousand tonnes valued at $32.7 million
- Total value of exports to India: $32.7 million
- Oil imports have been increasing at conservative rates in recent years with imports spiking in 2012 and 2016.